Aaaaaah Spider!

Thank goodness my evaluation was on Tuesday instead of yesterday because right in the middle of small group I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. "AAAAH SPIDER!"  But I was sitting at my horseshoe table and I stood up and the chair had me trapped and in a panic I jumped over my table and RAN to the other side of my classroom shouting "Somebody get it! Somebody get it!" Thankfully one of my first grader friends took of his shoe and shouted "I'll get it Mrs. Tice!" WHAM! And smooshed that sucker!

We recycled the paper that the evil spider was smooshed on. And then we continued like nothing at all had happened.....except I had goosebumps and kept looking out the corner of my eye for more spiders.

What would my evaluation have looked like? I had student engagement. Ha!

I AM AFRAID OF SPIDERS.
They seek me out.
Really!
And some are poisonous here in Texas. Like the brown recluse whose bite will eat away at your skin.
They show up in horrible places- like the shower, or my car, or the lid to the recycle bin and then they taunt me.
And I think some of them carry weapons- I'm just sayin.

Luckily just before Halloween I read  "Aaaaargh Spider" by Lydia Monks and we graphed whether or not we liked spiders so my kids know how I feel about them. Plus, it was mentioned on the first day of school right after my "Please don't show me wiggly teeth" speech.


It's absolutely adorable with super cute illustrations. The spider (who has a heart for lips) wants to be a family pet. 
It's not really a Halloween book so you could read it any time. 

I'm working on synonym task cards and hope they will be done today or tomorrow so look for a post tomorrow! Have a great Saturday!

PS: Watch out for spiders

9 comments:

  1. DARLING book! And, this post made me laugh out loud...that trapped feeling behind the horseshoe table is one I've had a few times. :) Glad that sucker got smooshed!
    Growing Firsties is having a Pete the Cat Giveaway that includes a donation to Hurricane Sandy Relief!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny!!!!!!! I hate wiggly teeth too! They totally gross me out!!!! I thought I was the only one!!! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soo funny! I had a spider once on my sweater, as I was sitting teaching in front of the class, and a little sweetie told me, and I totally tried to get that thing off, but he crawled elsewhere, and so the rest of the story is in my blog, but whew! I'm glad I'm not the only spider smasher in a classroom!
    Amy Howbert

    Little Miss Organized
    amyhowbert1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few weeks ago I saw something scurry across room. I certainly did not go looking for it. Then, about two days later I saw it...under my group table! I didn't scream...I didn't yell. I walked away calmly. I didn't want to kill it though. We have a spider-loving teacher at my school and I went to get her to save it. Luckily I ran into the librarian and we did a catch-and-release.
    (But I'm telling you...if I were at home and saw it it would have been one squished arachnid!!)

    Brenda
    You Might Be a First Grader...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it's a good thing you're not in Cali! We have numerous black widows in our room. We trap them in a clear container and not so politely stomp it down to the office manager and ask that she please call maintenance like yesterday!
    Lately we've had these bitty guys about the size of grain of rice All.Over.Our.Room! They are everywhere! Yuck yuck yuck!
    Here's to being spider free!
    ~Christy & Tammy
    Fluttering Through First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. The same thing happened to me at summer school one year, only it was a cockroach! Talk about freaking out. I nearly had a heart attack.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The same thing happened to me at summer school one year, only it was a cockroach! Talk about freaking out. I nearly had a heart attack.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The same thing happened to me at summer school one year, only it was a cockroach! Talk about freaking out. I nearly had a heart attack.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The same thing happened to me at summer school one year, only it was a cockroach! Talk about freaking out. I nearly had a heart attack.

    ReplyDelete