Tomorrow will be better

Really- today was great! Tuesdays are a bit hectic. We have runners club during our track time. (Track time is right in the middle of reading) Library time right in the middle of our reading stations too. So we skip any kind of calendar activities and jump right into math so we can finish math early, start reading, have snack, and get at least three rotations of reading stations in before we go to the library. It's nuts. But we are FLEXIBLE. Do y'all teach your kids this word? I have talked about that word quite a bit. It seems to be sinking in! We are FLEXIBLE on Tuesdays.

Yesterday I posted about how my kiddos were not themselves. I'm not saying they are perfect all the time, but yesterday was crazy!

***Backtrack***
Last Friday one of my friends in class had a difficult day. It was terrible. It happens. She even said "This is a bad day!" more than once.

The first time one of my students has a really terrible day I break out my copy of Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes.


If you aren't familiar with the story Lilly doesn't have the greatest day at school. When she leaves her teacher tells her that "Today was difficult, tomorrow will be better." It's great! I say it to students t dismissal whenever they have a bad day and it really helps!

***Back to yesterday***
Well yesterday was not a great day for me and the class was acting like the full moon was actually housed in our room- my friend who had a bad day on Friday told me as she left, "Today was difficult, tomorrow will be better." I just love her!

***Today***
Today really WAS better! My friend was right! I told her so! My kids were back to being the first graders I know and were sweet and kind and great listeners! I even had my evaluation today and was so thankful that my kids were on their game!

If you don't have Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse in your class library it's a MUST!


4 comments:

  1. Oh glory...I know what you mean! I LOVE Kevin Henkes books. Glad you had a good day!

    Alyse
    Keep Calm and Apple On

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo true! I was out Monday and the notes from the sub were so dissapointing but today was better, not great but better! I am going to read this book tomorrow! Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely one of my faves!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer,
    I am so glad your class was humming during the eval.
    And I love ALL THINGS Kevin Henkes!
    I just purchased 7 more of his books to "almost" complete the collection. He is my author of the month in Sept. and Feb. this year!
    On a final note,
    Your Tuesdays are my Mondays!
    I am so glad to have my "Rowdy" friend who understands the ability to be flexible! I was feeling so down on myself for not getting "enough" accomplished on Mondays! I will take your friend's advice!
    Wishing you a fabulous Wednesday!
    Julie

    Ms. Marciniak's First Grade Critter Cafe

    ReplyDelete