Monday, February 4, 2013

Simple Centers

I'm all about finding a deal and making the most of craft store finds. This weekend I was at Michaels and saw these

There are 68 hearts in the small package!  So I thought I would put together a couple of centers that I could reuse for a few weeks.

I numbered the back of the plastic hearts and put plastic coins inside each heart. We haven't started our money unit yet but I have a group of very high students in math that are ready to count coins. I am planning to change the amount in each plastic heart each week for the month of February. (Wish I could find a spot with better lighting than my kitchen counters!)

I created a recording sheet for it too!

Click on me to download
There were also some cute tins in the dollar section. I thought I could grab a mix of hearts from the hearts bag and place them into tins. I number the back of each tin. You could also just use a baggie. At the end of the week I can change out the hearts so students can use the center the next week with different results. 

Busted out the paint pens to be a little more decorative!
I have a recording sheet for this station as well. There are two versions: the second version has the word bag in place of tin.

Click to download
Now rush out to your local craft store and grab these goodies before they are gone! 
*I would love a comment if you choose to grab and download*

Have a great evening!


  1. I'm always in awe of how teachers take simple, cute items and turn them into amazing learning experiences for kids. I LOVE your centers. If I was at school right now I'd be rushing to go and buy these items. (Maternity leave). You're such an inspiration!!

  2. I just downloaded the money page...thank you! I also pinned it for you! :)

    You just saved me time with figuring out what to do with those cute containers I've been hanging on to!

    You rock, Jennifer!!
    Growing Firsties

  3. YES!
    I can finally have a purpose for the three dozen plastic eggs in my workroom!
    Thanks for a great idea!

    1. I bought so many eggs last year. What was I thinking?!

  4. Thank you! I was just working on my money-related math stations for next week! Perfect :)

  5. I just love when creative people, like you, come up with such cute ideas. If I saw those I would have NEVER come up with a great center idea like that. Thanks so much for sharing and being an inspiration!!

    LindsayFor the Love of First Grade

  6. I also love those craft store, dollar store, and Target finds. It makes centers so much more engaging for the students. Thanks for sharing!

    Granny Goes to School

  7. Jennifer-we got the same idea from Cara last year and put letters to our high frequency words in them. This year we added a twist and did equations. We just did a post on it. There are so many possibilities!
    Shoot us an email if you want to read it :)

    ~Christy & Tammy
    Fluttering Through First Grade

  8. OH, I love this!! What a great way to tie Vday into learning about money and practicing counting coins! I'll share this with my First Grade team! :)

    Thanks for the freebie!
    The Hands-On Teacher in First!

  9. Love the coins in the heart idea! Can't wait to add that to my center rotations this week. It just so happens that I have the same hearts in my storage.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...