Easter art project

Last week I wandered into Barnes & Noble....this is dangerous for any teacher, as you well know. I can never just browse and add items to my mile long wish list. I always find something I just can't live without. 

I stumbled upon a book called "Rabbityness" by Jo Empson


The story is about a special rabbit who likes to do rabbity things like jump and clean his ears. But he also likes doing unrabbity things like painting and making music. He is so happy that his happiness rubs off on the other rabbits! Suddenly, one day the rabbit is gone and the forest is no longer colorful. What will the other rabbits do now? 
The illustrations are absolutely so beautiful that I knew I wanted to do some kind of art project related to it in class. Today provided the perfect opportunity! We had a massive storm last night and our playground was REALLY muddy. Instead of doing a regular inside recess activity we painted watercolor pictures just like the cover. 

1) draw a rabbit head and ears with a white crayon on black construction paper


2) cut out your rabbit and set him aside

3) draw dandelions onto a white piece of paper with a white crayon

4) Use watercolors to SPLAT paint all over your white paper. I promise if you use our technique it won't get everywhere. Lots of water and lots of paint on your brush. Hold the end of your paint brush in one hand and tap the other end with your finger. *Keep your brush close to your paper!*


After your water colors dry you can glue your rabbit onto the front!


They turned out absolutely adorable! 







7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing!! This book looks adorable! We have an activity in our spring packet where kids take a rabbit and book home and journal about what they did at home. This book looks like a perfect fit for that activity.

    :) Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Looks like a great book! Your projects turned out ADORABLE!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I love Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. These turned out so cute!!!! I'm so jealous of all your fun in first grade!!
    Gina
    Third Grade Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love seeing a new book with a follow up art activities! Your bunnies are so cute!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am that crazy teacher who drove 25 minutes away to Barnes and Noble to purchase this book just so I could do this activity today! My kiddos loved it. Thanks for the awesome, easy, slightly messy project!

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it! Yeah, even though we are careful we still get watercolor mess all over. Oh well!

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for the awesome idea!!!

    http://secondgradealicious.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete